Wed, Nov 15|
Cape Cod Museum of Art
6-Week Course: "Clay as Canvas" Ceramic Surface Design Intensive with Rachel Mulcahy
(6) Wednesdays, 11/15 - 12/20, 9:30 – 12:00 pm. "Clay as Canvas" is a comprehensive 6-week course where participants will explore the transformative potential of clay through a comprehensive study of various surface design techniques with instructor Rachel Mulcahy.
Time & Location
Nov 15, 2023, 9:30 AM
Cape Cod Museum of Art, 60 Hope Ln, Dennis, MA 02638, USA
The Museum School at the Cape Cod Museum of Art presents:
Clay as Canvas: Ceramic Surface Design Intensive with Rachel Mulcahy
(6) Wednesdays, November 15 - December 20, from 9:30 – 12:00 PM.
Member $225 / Non-Member $250; includes $25 materials fee
"Clay as Canvas" is a comprehensive 6-week course where participants will explore the transformative potential of clay through a comprehensive study of various surface design techniques. Through practical demonstrations, studio time, and guided experimentation, students will develop a strong foundation in surface design principles and practices on pieces they create first on the wheel. Materials and firings included in cost.
Techniques demonstrated in this class will include but not be limited to:
- Water etching
- Slip transfer
- and Stamping
This course is designed for intermediate ceramic artists seeking to elevate their skills in designing and decorating ceramic surfaces. "Clay as Canvas: Ceramic Surface Design Intensive" empowers aspiring ceramic artists to breathe life into clay, transforming it into a beautiful and expressive canvas for their artistic vision.
Key Learning Objectives:
- Technique Mastery: Gain proficiency in a range of ceramic surface design techniques, allowing for creative expression and innovation.
- Materials and Tools: Acquire knowledge of materials, tools, and equipment essential for creating diverse and visually captivating ceramic surface designs.
- Color and Texture: Explore the interplay of color, texture, and composition to create visually appealing and dynamic ceramic surfaces.
- Historical and Cultural Context: Understand the historical, cultural, and contemporary significance of ceramic surface design, drawing inspiration from various traditions and styles.
- Personal Expression: Encourage students to develop a unique artistic voice by integrating personal experiences, influences, and perspectives into their ceramic surface designs.
- Critique and Feedback: Engage in constructive critique sessions to refine and improve individual designs, fostering a culture of growth and collaboration within the class.
Rachel Mulcahy is an emerging ceramic artist from Dennis, Massachusetts. She possesses a profound connection with the natural world that serves as the wellspring of her creative journey. With a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) in Art Education from Syracuse University, Rachel has a passion for teaching that enriches her own artistic practice. Currently pursuing a Master of Fine Arts (MFA) in Ceramics at the University of Massachusetts, Dartmouth, Rachel is delving into the intricate world of ceramics. Her work draws inspiration from nature, with a particular focus on the interplay between wild and cultivated environments. What captivates Rachel most is the obscurity and complexity of layers found in the depths of dense vegetation. Her artistic journey has centered around the exploration of her ability to create custom stencils. Through her work, she invites viewers to explore the hidden intricacies of the natural world and the parallels it holds to the human experience. With each creation, she offers a glimpse into the beauty and complexity that can be found in even the densest of undergrowth, reminding us of the profound layers that make up our own lives.
The Cape Cod Museum of Art is committed to making Art accessible to everyone in the Cape Cod Community. The Museum School Scholarship Fund provides tuition assistance to qualified, year-round Cape Cod residents ages 6 and up. Click here to apply.
Cancellation policy: CCMoA must be notified 1 week prior for refund.
Pricing OptionsFrom $225.00 to $250.00