Sat, Nov 04|
Cape Cod Museum of Art
Drawing Into Printing with Ann Guiliani
(4) Saturdays 11/4-11/25 from 1-3:30. Instructor Ann Guiliani places an emphasis on exploring printmaking in the context of drawing. Students are introduced to the media of printmaking, explore mark-making and line drawing, and practice direct drawing from imagination to observation.
Time & Location
Nov 04, 2023, 1:00 PM
Cape Cod Museum of Art, 60 Hope Ln, Dennis, MA 02638, USA
The Museum School at the Cape Cod Museum of Art presents:
Drawing Into Printing with Ann Guiliani
(4) Saturdays, November 4 - November 25, from 1:00 – 3:30 pm.
Members $165/ Non-Members $180; includes $25 supply fee. Additional in-class supplies can be purchased directly from the instructor.
Single class option: Members $45 / Non-Members $50
In this 4-week course, instructor Ann Guiliani places an emphasis on exploring printmaking in the context of drawing.
Students are introduced to the media of printmaking, explore mark-making and line drawing, practice direct drawing from imagination to observation, and learn how to define limitations and possibilities.
Working with the Pronto plate or laser plate, students learn the “feel” of the plate with direct drawing, practice tonal variations by using computer-generated imagery or photography, and continue experimenting with other materials to gain tonal variations. Printmaking papers and plates (Pronto as well as Aluminum plates for tonal drawing) are provided at additional cost (paid directly to the instructor) because it depends on the size and amount used.
Students will enjoy the possibilities of the combo print (Monoprints using monotype and lithography together). Materials provided in class such as brayers, rollers, ink, and additives, with the exception of Printmaking Paper. Ann will have Printmaking Paper available at an additional cost (variable depending on the amount, size, and weight).
Suggested materials list. Ann will also have supplies available for purchase:
- Lots of cotton rags like cotton tees, cut into small pieces measuring approximately 8-10”
- Roll of paper towel
- Newspapers for covering, etc.
- Disposable rubber gloves (nitrile preferred)
- Notebook for taking notes and recording results
- Newsprint pad (smooth preferred) 24”x36” for proofing prints
- Plastic bowls (at least two medium-sized)
- Ordinary cellulose sponges (at least three), without the abrasive sides
- Bottle of rubbing alcohol
- A bottle of salad oil (the cheapest you can get)
- Toolbox with drawing tools: ballpoint, sharpie permanent markers, round brush no. 8 or smaller or a Japanese or bamboo brush, and a Graphite pencil 2B
- Tracing pad 12”x18”
Ann Guiliani has two master’s degrees: one in Painting and Art Education from New York University and another in Printmaking and Visual Design from the University of Massachusetts. Ann moved from West New York, New Jersey to Cape Cod with her husband and taught at Cape Cod Community College from 1984 to 2000. Versed in so many media, she taught all the art offerings, even Graphic Design which she still works in from time to time. In 2000 her life was altered in caring for her parents as well as her husband with frequent trips between Cape Cod and Florida. The frequent changes in environment inspired a number of major bodies of work. Her six-foot drawings of “Palms in the Wind,” her Paintings of Water; and a series of Drawing From a Moving Car, all challenge moments in time where movement becomes an essential element of the work. Ann is an emerging artist, who has garnered awards both nationally and internationally. She has had five solo shows since returning to Cape Cod in 2015.
The Cape Cod Museum of Art is committed to making Art accessible to everyone in the Cape Cod Community. The Museum School Scholarship Fund provides tuition assistance to qualified, year-round Cape Cod residents ages 6 and up. Click here to apply.
Cancellation policy: CCMoA must be notified 1 week prior for refund.
Pricing OptionsFrom $165.00 to $180.00
Single ClassFrom $45.00 to $50.00